BBR Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:53:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TireSnag's home Made Snow Tire.  (Read 1692 times)
iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« on: January 24, 2005, 03:14:44 AM »

well, as you all know, i started work on a snow tire months ago. i used a 2.7 maxxis  minion and inserted stainless steel screws and nutted them--duck taped the inside, mounted, and went out for a grand testing session this past weekend. the first thing i noticed was the turing radius. its not that bad...obviously turing radius will suffer, but its much better then with normal tires. even with studs, i had to take it easy on the turns. then again, my tire only slid out once i pushed it beyond its limits making it very predictable...its was all about taking it easy..good balance helps too. the studded tire peformed very well on the hill. the snow was somewhat packed and i had exceptional traction. i was even able to brake well too. i was amazed i was able to control my drifting very well, cause the front keeps on track while the back is out doing its thing. in general, the more packed the snow, the better the tire would peform. in powder snow, the tire acted wishy washy but i still had considerable grip as to the studs would latch on every time the tire would slip. the tire did a bad job in road slush, as it was even to slippery for the studs to make a differance. also, on normal dry sidewalk/road, the tire peformed like sh!t as the studs acted like skids everytime i tried making a sharp turn making this a snow only tire. in conclusion, this tire owns snow, and did its job well.

Kevin

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2005, 06:08:43 PM »

Tiresnag the first pair of snow tires i've seen was at Treadbike ozzy's mechanic made them with small silver self tapped screws. also my friend will had a pair he bought he's RACER'S EDGE mechanic willie.

KERS ONE  CTB  TPA   BUSHWICK
iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2005, 07:02:48 PM »

lol...i didnt say i was the first to make em......im just reviewing how they peformed. Smiley .

Jim Dellavalle

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »

this might be totally impossible anymore but if you can get your hands on some Onza porcupines.  DAMN JIM right?  I've been riding a longtime.  anyways these tires were the bomb to shoot the screws through and go trompin in the snow....
I also rode with Lars  Tribus in the winter last year and he went to a motorcycle shop and got the screws they use for dirtbikes those studs were no joke.... they were gold too, so you could be bling - bling all the way home... LOL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: