BBR Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:51:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What BMX to Buy?  (Read 7664 times)
Wired

Email
« on: November 10, 2006, 03:40:36 AM »

I'm looking for a bike that is good for parks, street, and ramp stuff. I'm an old school guy that is just getting back into BMX after taking a 16 year break from it. Too much has changed since...I'm lost, but these are the things I do/don't want:

DON'T WANT....black rims, Crappy brakes, Cheap Hubs, Thin front axels, Too Heavy.

WANT or LIKES...Shiny rims, good brakes, strong hubs, matching front and rear 14mm axels (I think!), A little lighter in weight!...Also Chrome bikes are a plus +

I am 28 years old, 6' Tall 140 lbs soaking wet on a day I didn't Sh*t!...So that means I would need a frame size that suits me any sizes recommended?....Also lighter is better, I am a strong kid, I go rock climbing, but not a weight lifter...I would like to have better control so maybe 30-40lbs tops.

I know some names HARO, GT, REDLINE, Diamondback, don't know whats good or not. Saw a Haro Freestyler that was nice at the shop, but like I said I'm lost!
Please help! Thanks in advance!

Paul from Staten AKA Wired!
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 04:10:03 AM »

Hey Wired, I thought about this, for about $500, might be for now, you can get a pretty decent bike with decent parts ready to rip. I never picked it up as plan, I know someone on the forum did. Personally i think its a great if you need a good bike and you always hook it as you go along. black rims are almost standard, now most bikes, chome seems like a thing of the past, but I love it. Try Racer's Edge, I think Gerald had both the Street and Regular version ready to test ride... Oh since you're tall, I would recommend tall 8" bars, long top tube(ie, 21" maybe nothing shorter than 20.75") and/ or maybe long stem for knee clearance. But choose numbers based on preference, riding style and comfort.

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Wired

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:03:33 AM »

Thanks I would still like a few more people to chime in and get a few more opinions, I saw a HARO Freestyler yesterday half chrome and half like a mintish green color, I don't know if it's good or not but it did have Chrome rims or hard anodized aluminum color. I really thanks you for your post, lets see some other opinions and I will decide from there!...Thanks again!
Wired

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 11:04:43 AM »

Also what kind of Bike was that anyways?
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 12:11:15 PM »

Thats the Fit Flow Park, I dont if I would buy a Haro, even thoough I loved them back in the day. Where is my '96 Haro Sport? Haro are mass produced, and sold for quantity, not quality, but thats my my opinion...

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Kevin

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 04:33:28 PM »

I LIKE THE FLYBIKES, FIT & DK CHECK OUT THE DAN'S COMP.COM
CATALOG GOOD PRICES COMPLETE BIKES.

I'm thinking about a BULLDOG  frame it's a NYC Company.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 04:36:10 PM by Kevin » Logged

KERS ONE  CTB  TPA   BUSHWICK
Johnny Knoxville

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 04:53:43 PM »

I started with a Fit Flow, but then I sold the frame for a slightly larger one.
And Im from Staten....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 04:54:54 PM by Johnny Knoxville » Logged

MeanMachine

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 06:48:24 PM »

well, sounds like you want a complete. Higher end haros are not bad, but definitely not the best value.

For your height and after a break you will probably want a slightly bigger bike with a longer top tube like 21'' and higher bars like Iggy said.

Complete Fits are good, but I think all their completes only come with 20.5'' top tube, but I may be wrong about that - look into that.

I would suggest going to a shop which has some higher end BMX bikes and checking them out. The only problem is that not that many shops carry high end BMX bikes.
Yes, Gerald at Racers Edge in Brooklyn has Fits in stock. Another place I know of is Staff BMX at incline club (skatepark) - they are actually a mail order ( http://staff-bmx.com ), but they also have a shop there - I saw some kids buying completes there too - call them to find out what they have in the shop.

Here are a few other completes I know of with 20.75'' or 21'' top tube which are pretty good.
Integral Belair - everything chromoly with high end Primo parts:
http://staff-bmx.com/store/bikes/integ_belair_n.html

Eastern Jane - good complete with decent eastern parts:
http://staff-bmx.com/store/bikes/east_7jane_n.html

PS I'm also from staten...
Johnny Knoxville

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 10:58:46 PM »

NationBMX has a nice showroom, better then staff if you ask me, abd they are like 10 minutes from ataten island.

Wired

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 10:42:39 AM »

How are these parts?

Frame: 3-tube Crmo
Rims: Alex DM18
Hubs: Front & Rear Rims Sealed w/14mm Axles
Spokes: 14g
Tires: Multi Surface-4, 20 x 2.0
Crankset: Tubular-chromoly, 175mm
Chainwheel: 39T
Freewheel: 14T Cassette
Handlebars: Street chromoly, 7.5-inch-rise
Brake Levers: Tektro aluminum w/adjustable reach
Brakes: Tektro aluminum U-brakes w/Sticky Pads
Pedals: Aluminum platform
Seatpost: Steel
Extras: SST Oryg cable detangler
4 Aluminum pegs (front and rear)

Do these parts work and funtion well? sound good?
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 11:27:46 AM »

Look for something with a full chromoly frame. The "Frame: 3-tube Crmo", means the the front triangle is chromoly, but the rest of the bike is cheap steel. Which is usually not as strong as chromoly steel, and heavier. And the Aluminum pegs, wont last on the street IMO, the metal is too soft to grind on.
The rest of the bike sounds ok.

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

MeanMachine

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 03:06:27 PM »

ugh, didn't know about Nation BMX, and they are pretty close. Will check them out. Greg, you've been there?

wired, that spec is so-so  - lower to midrange. You didn't say what your budget is, that would help.
Wired

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 04:34:58 PM »

my budget is tops 500.00 I put a deposit on the bike at the shop. the bike is 350.00 that I picked. It is a  06' HARO Sport Freestyler Retro. Looks nicer than the newer bikes only cause thats what I knew when I grew up! It is supposed to be the same as the 06' Mirra Pro 540. I can alsways change my mind and use the deposit for safety crap & go somewhere else for the bike...but being that the bike is a limited edition and they only get 1-2 per store I didn't want to lose it if that's the only bike I like.  What do you think?
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2006, 07:29:39 PM »

I almost brought ones those like 2 years ago, it was white, with green, blue and grey graphics, just like what I had 20 twenty years ago. Whoa, I cant believe it been that long, I loved that bike the original Haro Sport. I guess because I picked out all the parts and built it from scratch before it got stolen the summer of '97... Memories...

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Johnny Knoxville

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 10:35:49 AM »

ugh, didn't know about Nation BMX, and they are pretty close. Will check them out. Greg, you've been there?

wired, that spec is so-so  - lower to midrange. You didn't say what your budget is, that would help.
Yeah  I went once to get a brake cable.
super close and easy to get to, its strictly BMX Shop, tvs couches, and sweet parts in stock. pretty much everything, no ordering and waiting.

I couldnt believe how close it was, and thats Sayreville Skatepark is like a block away.

Haro,,  what kind of riding are you doing? And please tell me your not shopping in Staten Island...

Wired

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 01:01:49 PM »

I will be riding street, park, just like what you see on road fools, or props, on Fuel TV.  I was shopping in Staten Island if you were asking me that question. I am lost...I thought HARO was good!
MeanMachine

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 01:41:35 PM »

I say if that bike gets you stoked, go for it - it's about having fun especially if you're just getting into it after a break. And I doubt you'll be putting a lot of strain on that bike right off the bat and you'll be able upgrade as you go and figure out what you need.

shinone

666 fuck microsoft deadcorporate not using it anymore
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:54 PM »

Hey Wired, I thought about this, for about $500, might be for now, you can get a pretty decent bike with decent parts ready to rip.
Iggy's right, thats your best bet by far for half a grand

chaloots

Email
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 02:23:24 PM »

i also rode a fit flow series until i decided that i would stick w/bmx a while and built something to my specs. its a soild bike.
 someone your size shuold look for a 21"tt .check out eastern bikes also

ride everything
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 11:19:12 PM »

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/bik/238300648.html

FitBikeco. PRO Edition 2006 Model (Proffesional BMX Bike) - $200
Reply to: sale-238300648@craigslist.org
Date: 2006-11-21, 8:16PM EST

Just log onto FitBikeCo. web site and it retails for over 350.
This bike is in mint condition.
Great and reliable bike, it wont break because it was designed for BMX.
Color: Brown
includes 2 pegs

* It's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Johnny Knoxville

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 10:30:54 AM »

Did you buy anything?

Wired

Email
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 07:45:28 PM »

Nah but my girl did put a down pament on the Haro Sport Freestler LTD....It has all those parts I listed...they say it is the same as the Mirra 540.  It weighs about 34lbs fully loaded with all four peg & front and back brakes. Is that too heavy?  Ohh by the way I flipped over my handle bars of my old school mongoose BMX and busted my AS* I think I tore my ACL...LOL
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 04:18:56 AM »

well, for street hardtail 34lbs isnt, bad mine is about that much with no pegs, is that heavy for a 24" cruiser with front suspension and disk brakes?

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Johnny Knoxville

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 02:43:56 PM »

My bike is about 25lbs with pegs on one side. did you really tear your acl?
Where do you ride in Staten Island?

v-digit

vassili123
WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 02:46:38 PM »

I think I tore my ACL...LOL
if he really did, i doubt he'd throw a LOL in there. its really not that funny. :unsure:  Wink  Smiley  

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: