BBR Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:12:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ? What happen to HYBRIDGE PROJECT  (Read 19010 times)
Kevin

WWW Email
« on: May 05, 2006, 08:41:46 AM »

What happen to the HYBRIDGE PARK no one posted anything.

KERS ONE  CTB  TPA   BUSHWICK
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 09:54:24 AM »

We're shooting for a fall opening for all the Highbridge trails.

found this on mycmtb.org, looks like the Cunningham Park is going to be built first.

http://www.nycmtb.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php...a6d95e88b773657

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 10:37:38 AM »

Everything's chugging along. We've been meeting monthly with the parks dept, and this weekend we have the IMBA trail care crew coming in to train volunteers on how to build trails.

In our last meeting, Parks actually asked us to fast-track the jump park portion of the project, as they would love to get that recreational opportunity built in time for the neighborhood kids to enjoy it late summer this year.

The grant money should be in place by June, then we have to work out a tight schedule for the jumps construction- we'll be trucking in dirt, then using heavy machinery to put it into place. We'll have to pack it and shape it quickly so its not a safety hazard and so that people don't cause too much damage to it before its built. I'll give you all plenty of notice about when we need help.

For the XC trails, we'll be getting approval from the Natural Resources Group next week, then we can start working on the XC trails. Thre will be a huge work day up  there on June 3 for National Trails day, and we'll be working at least twice a month on building XC trails until they're done. Once we have a schedule, I'll post it.

We're shooting for a September grand opening, but if it's built and the signage and legal stuff is taken care of before that, we may have it open earlier. Here's the draft design we presented to Parks for approval:

Thanks to Flying Squirrel for working on the design.

Cunningham Park will definitely be completed first, as the trails are MUCH easier to build over there, and  there's no jump park , steepness, or anything really difficult to build around. Highbridge will take a lot more work, but the results will be worth it...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 10:39:31 AM by NYCMTB » Logged

New York City Mountain Bike Association
http://www.NYCMTB.com
420freerider

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 02:36:41 PM »

Aside from mounds of dirt to jump which are fun, will there be any elevated stuff, see-saws, things of that nature? It would be fairly easy to incorperate some technical single track using elevated trails so that the good old mother nature doesn't get affended.  just a thought...or is it more than that?Huh Wink  ^_^  :huh:  :blink:  <_<  
Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 02:51:30 PM »

Aside from mounds of dirt to jump which are fun, will there be any elevated stuff, see-saws, things of that nature? It would be fairly easy to incorperate some technical single track using elevated trails so that the good old mother nature doesn't get affended.  just a thought...or is it more than that?Huh Wink  ^_^  :huh:  :blink:  <_<
Due to liability, we can't build anything out of cut lumber, or anything using nails or bolts. We can move rocks into place, and arrange logs so they can be ridden, but no seesaws or teeters or built stunts like that. The burden of maintenance on that stuff is way too high for the city and us, and if one plank gets loose and someone hurts themselves, we'd be looking at a multimillion dollar lawsuit. The NY State recreational use statutes do not protect landowners and governments very well (as opposed to those in states like Florida, where they've amended the statutes and can therefore build cool stunt-filled trails on state land while being much more legally protected).

We have scoped out some drops and a couple decent (but very short) DH runs, and we can build some transitions for them since it's just moving dirt. Here are a couple spots that we're looking at:

Steep roller or 8-10 foot drop- will build transition:

Front view

The slope is steep

Future wall drop (we'll build up a transition)

Can also take the line off the end of the wall- natural transiion

The wall drop takeoff

Future dh line

We got the first group of volunteers out there two weeks ago for trailbuilding, and we'll arrange a build day for some technical/dh stuff next month...

DieselX

AM+Boarder+XXX
Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 02:58:06 PM »

I'm happy to see some FR/DH stuff.

"The biggest risk is not taking one."

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
El_Sp1c

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 12:28:11 AM »

Wow people really got the ball rolling on this stuff.  
I remember building a few things in cunny, last i heard alot of that stuff has been used in the current work there.  I can't wait to come visit and check out all the work you guys have done
Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 08:34:25 AM »

Had 300 people up at Highbridge two weeks ago building trails- unfortunately, they were only working for about an hour, and doing "teambuilding" stuff for the rest of the time, but shit- 300 people is 300 people. We got one of the beginner trails knocked out, but there's still way too much glass in the trail tread for it to be rideable.

Working on a switchback:

Beginner trail:

Beginner trail:

I'm thinking about a work day on July 1 if anyone wants to come out and work on some technical trails...

xredhitx
dA mOD SquaD

idiotjuan
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 03:02:53 PM »

Wish i could help...I have to work all that week...Godamn AllStar games!!!

xXx

pick up your teeth with broken fingers
Marvelous

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 02:29:01 PM »

This place is cool. Wonder if we could stop by and help build up trails and then ride them? but what about the cops? they not gonna do anything?
Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 12:23:59 AM »

This place is cool. Wonder if we could stop by and help build up trails and then ride them? but what about the cops? they not gonna do anything?
Please don't go in and do any work on your own. Come out Sunday, July 23rd- we're holding our next trail work day, and will be working on some technical trails. Sid's will be sponsoring lunch for all the volunteers...

Marvelous

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 08:21:17 AM »

Please don't go in and do any work on your own.

Who would go and do work on their own.....im not crazy.

but sure i'll like to meet up and we could go do some trail work on juy 23 as u said.

by the pictures it looks like alot of fun, you should try to get as much as possible of bbr crew to come out and help build stuff, you know do some team work.

when you go send me EM we'll meet up and i'll love to  help you out guys, im out of school not doing anywork, bored as hell.  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 08:52:44 AM by Marvelous » Logged
Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »

Who would go and do work on their own.....im not crazy.
Cool. It's gonna take some work, but hey- legal riding (and dirt jumps) in Manhattan. Who would have thought?

Chris Skolnick is heading up the Sids contingent on the 23rd. I'd like to get 20-30 people out there, so we can fine-tune the general work that the JP Morgan volunteers have done, build some of the expert singletrack, and maybe get started on the freeride line.

We've got a huge group of JP Morgan volunteers coming up on Friday, July 14, so if you want to help out then, you're more than welcome to.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 09:35:44 AM by NYCMTB » Logged

Marvelous

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 10:32:08 AM »

Allrigth cool, where is the place exactly? how do i get there from brooklyn?
Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 01:06:44 PM »

Allrigth cool, where is the place exactly? how do i get there from brooklyn?
Fastest way would be to take the A train all the way up to Dyckman street at the top of Manhattan, then ride three blocks east on Dyckman. You cross under the elevated 1 train, then Highbridge park is on your right. There's a sitting area there called Dyckman Rest where we organize for all the work days.

When you get out of the subway, you'll see Ft. Tryon park right there, which is on the west side. You  want to go the opposite direction towards the east side. You can also take the 1 train and come out right at Highbridge, but that's a lot slower than the A train...

codynyc74

mywifeishotyoursnot@msn.com codynyc74 codynyc1974
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 02:12:06 AM »

OMG   alistar and i were riding  inwood today. damn wish i know where that was.  ill get his lazy ass out there on the 23rd with me.  we live in the  area and its only right that we help out.  Wink  

schoolin assholes since 74
codynyc74

mywifeishotyoursnot@msn.com codynyc74 codynyc1974
WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 08:34:31 AM »

23rd is sunday ... what time would you guys be meeting up?

schoolin assholes since 74
Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 09:48:56 AM »

23rd is sunday ... what time would you guys be meeting up?
I'll put up a separate thread for it...

Marvelous

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 10:21:50 AM »

i wanna go to.................
Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 09:22:33 PM »

No turnout from BBR today, but we had 11 guys and built about 1500 feet of trail in a half day. HUGE thanks to Sids Bikes for buying drinks, snacks and lunch for all volunteers, and to Chris Skolnick for representing for Sids.

We worked on an expert XC trail with some nice little technical features as well as a huge log-ride and the run-in to the wall-drop we're building. The pics make the trail look huge and smooth, but give it a month and the plants will re-claim all the area around the trail, and once people start riding it, the trail will narrow down to a 12-24" trail tread.

Cutting in trail:

Skolnick from Sid's, digging...

A steep drainage crossing:

The "shooting gallery" trail, as it progresses:

Jbogner

WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 09:24:25 PM »

Simon standing on some rocks that will become a roll/drop:

Rock slab climb:

Simon's special "project":

Run in to the shooting gallery drop:

The crew eating finishing up with lunch...

Good stuff. We're going to do it again in a couple weeks. I'll have a date set ASAP for the next work day- would be nice to see some BBR heads out there...   Wink

Marvelous

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 09:34:33 PM »

Nice work guys, i had fun today at creek, sorry i couldnt go. and im out of us this friday so it looks like i will not able go get my hands on helping out building stuff.  
MagicOPromotion

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 11:39:01 AM »

I think whats going to happen is more of the same political dog and pony show weve been seeing.  This is going to be milked for as much political gain as possible and then its going to evaporate into thin air when its used up.
iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »

actually, the park has been built and open for almost 3 years.. check the thread date before you post.  Wink

http://www.vimeo.com/1740229

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: