BBR Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Van Courtland Park  (Read 8630 times)
iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« on: July 26, 2004, 02:04:10 PM »

Van Courtland Park is huge...has every trail for every riding style---to find the best trails , find a local rider to show you around...as for every one whos familar wit the park---yeah, its pretty fun for a while, but the that rangers come and mess everything up. has drops that come in all sizes--from 2-25ft...many downhill trails--most are like a 90 seconds long but still fun until you get tired of draggin the bike up the hill. lots of technical riding in some areas--trails consist of tight single track--rooted sections, rock gardens, and fireroads. most berms that were built up along the downhills were eroded away and most bikers have given up on the park because of rangers and seeing the best sections in the park bulldozed. many trails created by bikers have become overgrown becuase of disuse. the park is still fun to ride in. im still finding new places to ride. come and visit. rangers usualy leave after 3-5pm. im sure i left a lot outa this post so add on your thoughts. its a shame to lose a great spot to ride. and again, if i need to--jus ask, ill post a map.--------------------Most of you know the dangers of riding in vanny alone...dont do it please.....
« Last Edit: July 27, 2004, 11:25:49 AM by TireSnag » Logged

iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 01:30:21 PM »

id like to add that vanny is much closer to home then bethpage( no offense intended) and that it is worth fixing it back up to its former glory ^_^
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 12:11:14 AM by TireSnag » Logged

iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 03:28:38 PM »

and not to mention its cheaper to get there too

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 10:17:35 PM »

and not to mention its cheaper to get there too
i bet. for me, its free.  Wink  anyway i was reading dirtrag magazine today and they had a artical on some crew that came back from whistler and decided to build trails/stunts of there own. it goes on that they get arrested and stuff, and that the trails/stunts they built were very bad. in vermont, they established a local mountain biking club to be able to maintain there crazy network of trails and build proper stunts, the right way without the land owners bitching. the point im trying to make is that mabey, just mabey, its better to read a bit before i( or everyone) even try to build new trails/stunts. it might be better for me safty wise and the park. i can understand why the rangers do what they do. liability issues are the biggest factor, but it destroys the park as well. i think its time to take more responsibility on what we do to the parks and build trails/stunts better. no wonder most of the trannys in vanny are eroded. trails become instant runnoff path for rain, destroying everything... ima read up, then think about building.

im not against what we do. im for it, but it should be done better.

iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:18:25 PM »

sry for the double post... forum acting up...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 10:19:11 PM by TireSnag » Logged

Andre

Roostin'

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2004, 12:25:19 AM »

The stunts may cause some erosion, but erosion happens with or with out the stunts, it’s a part of nature. The tiny area the stunts occupy (near the golf course for example) is a drop in a pond compared to the size of the entire park. No body but us cares; we just need to find the right approach to make them listen. The NYC Parks Department is okay with the status quo, so why should they change? You have to talk to people/groups that have made a change, and find out exactly what they did. Talk to the guys that started Mullaly; how'd they do it? ClubMud.com is another group. NYC parks don't five a guck. They don't want to spend an extra penny if they don't have to.

Around here, the stunts in public parks have signs stating that you must wear a helmet and ride within your limits, and the stunts are inspected by R.M. every so often, to make sure that they’re "safe".

I think we have to be more organized when it comes to stuff like this. Find some on in the department that's willing to listen. Make a serious list of all the good that an official MtB stunt area would bring to the park, and a list to counter all the excuses they could think of. Show them how big we are. Make petitions blah blah blah. You get the point.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 12:36:03 AM by Reidling » Logged

iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 12:38:33 AM »

iv though of that already....it needs to come together soon, but you know what, i just want to ride. when the time comes, it will happen.

Andre

Roostin'

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 12:53:24 AM »

...when the time comes, it will happen...
I know what you mean, but it's not just gonna happen; everyone that has or will ever even consider riding Vanny has to make a push. It can't be always one or two people trying.
It has to be a teim effort.
[color=505969]The 'i' is for initiative.[/color]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 01:00:02 AM by Reidling » Logged

iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 01:13:43 AM »

werd, but there are only a handfull of riders in vanny now so its looking a bit grimm. it will come together soon though. soon. once some new stuff get built on the other side of the park, looks like it might get built to last because there is old stuff there that has never been torn down...or cant be torn down thx to some handy trail builders ^_^ . so much potential, so overlooked. when my friend is able to ride again, we will go down there and build. fix up the bowl ontop of the hill for drop ins and trail gaps. im also looking to build some new skinnys which vanny sorta lacks.

Andre

Roostin'

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 01:27:03 PM »

I think the best place for you guys to build is by the big berm. They can't get bull dozers in there and it has a lot of potential.

iamcameraman

Dirtrock01
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2004, 11:03:30 PM »

bad news...if you dont already know, the park sevice came in a couple of days ago and wrecked all the dirtjumps and trannys in the east of the park...i havent been to the west side, but its probably the same story....well, give it a month to cool down and ima be out there rebuilding ^_^.  

iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2004, 03:20:44 AM »

Im not surprise. Sad

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Andre

Roostin'

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004, 03:40:06 PM »

I rebuilt most of those jumps by myself, and it was worth it. Don't let it get you down, that's what they do twice a year, keep building and keep riding (just watch your back).
A few weeks of work for a few months of enjoyment.  B)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: