BBR Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:04:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: pedals  (Read 9772 times)
gideon

« on: February 24, 2005, 03:28:55 PM »

I like primos, cheap, have knurling as well as pins, are concave, are pretty durable, large surface

The more grip, the better and the knurling and the pins help once things get muddy/wet/dirty

I picked up a pair of EASTERN PLATFORM PEDALS (Sealed) from danscomp

Cast aluminum body with replaceable allen head pins. Concave platform design. Precision sealed bearings. 9/16". (23 oz)    EASTERN PLATFORM PEDALS (Sealed)   #465041   $49.99

http://www.danscomp.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?...AIL&item=465041

haven't gotten them yet, they look like a cross btwn the old dx and primos

The jim cielinski ones looked ok too, nice and thin, but knurling isn't too deep and pins are sparser and allen head type = crap

Removeable allen head type of pins just seem to wear and rip up my shoes faster as well as rip out easier, and cmon, you ever really gonna replace them?, if they rip out the alum body threads are shot anyway

I don't do pedal grinds so that wont be an issue and yes there are pedal guards, but then you realistically loose one side of the pedal

I've also used old and new school dx, odysseys twisted and the knurled types, atomlabs (broke 3 axles in a month), dk iron cross, hutch and suntors w/ the trog/urchin cages in the summer w/ no protection,

I'd like to support Andy, but i want the concaveness, the knurling and I am not sure about chi chi axle strength (no dig here on that, just not tested by me and I am pretty rough on pedals = I don't land that softly and 220lb)

The brooklyns look ok, but again expensive, and not sure how concave they are and axle strength issues too
dittio on the profile gas pedals (a lot of hype of oversized axles, not sure I believe it)

Oh yeah, always go for the sealed, they seem to be stronger too

They are like bars, you gotta replace them regularly if you ride hard (and carry a spare pair up to the mtn)

the old peregrine sealed were supposed to be pretty strong
Nothing will ever beat the orig DX

Other thoughts?
G

Go That Way, Really Fast — If Something Gets In Your Way, Turn
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 03:51:31 PM »

I had Eastern Pedals on my old Trek Bruiser, best things I brought to keep my feet in place, very grippy. Unfortunately I couldn't remove them from my cranks when I sold them, so I had to let them go. Brought a pair of BK Brooklyn's on Ebay for a good price, they grip, but scary when they were wet. I traded them for a pair of Kore platfrom Pedals w/ homemade grind plates, broke the axle about 4 months after riding them. So I bit the bullet brought Glory Holes, and I havent had a problem with yet. Except for they were black and I wanted Silver ones, when I had a chance I traded someone who wanted a them black. The only issue with the pedal, and its not a real problem but something I noticed they need to be broken for them to spin smoothly. I have been riding the pedals since late April. IMO about the pedal they are bad ass, they have held up to constant abuse when I ride or crash my bike...

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

banshee1

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 04:30:33 PM »

"N.Y.C."GLORY HOLES<are the best out there.next in line are"EASTON"FLATBOYS."AZONIC A_FRAMES",they break to easy.primos,break easy also.just my 2cents.
gideon

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 04:35:01 PM »

"N.Y.C."GLORY HOLES<are the best out there.next in line are"EASTON"FLATBOYS."AZONIC A_FRAMES",they break to easy.primos,break easy also.just my 2cents.
what did you break, the axles or the bodies?
how did you break?
what part(s)?

Qualude

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 05:00:52 PM »

If you are riding street, go with something cheap..stick with the Primo's or the Azonics...I would hate to see someone doing an accidental pedal grind on some glory holes...DJ'ing, go with something with alot of gripiness...
My Primo's clog with mud faster than anything...Fool has the Glory Holes, and they seem to clear pretty easily, plus, they are completely rebuildable.
Definitely a plus..

MeanMachine

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 02:40:46 PM »

I put Primo Tenderizers on my 20'' ever since I got it about a year ago.
I'm really happy with them.

First off, I really like how they feel. I know it's personal, but they seem to have a very good combination of stable platform, good grip with the right shoes and still give you the ability to re-adjust the feet quickly if needed.

I've been abusing this bike and the pedals a lot, and started doing pedal grinds and I'm not using any grind plates or anything - so it adds even more strain. The pedals are holding up really well - I don't see any problems with them, aside from the scratches they still feel like new. Again, I've had them for about a year.

The cannondale pedals that came with my chase are dying even though I used that bike a lot less - I'll pick up a set of primos to replace them next time I'm at gerald's.

All that, hard to beat for $25.

The only potential problem I can think of is because these are unsealed, they may get clogged if used a lot at the dirt jumps/trails - I haven't used them at the jumps yet, so can't say.

Perhaps it's just me, but aside from a coolness factor, I can't think of a single good reason to pay $100+ for pedals.

IvanTheTerrible

ivancitoaruiz
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 03:55:01 PM »

I ran Primos on my P3 and will be running them on my Titan.  Love them.

I ride when I can...
but when I can
I RIDE HARD!
Jim Dellavalle

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 07:30:53 PM »

PRIMOS ARE GOOD,  BUT THE GLORY HOLES ARE THE BEST HANDS DOWN AND  TRY  THEM IF YOU WANT  IF YOU EVER MEET ME OUT ON THE SDTREET YOU CAN TRY MY PEDALS OUT ANYTIME.  JUST COME BACK WITH MY BIKE OR I'LL HAVE TO PINCH YOU JO.  I THINK THE PRIMOS ARE GOOD IF YOUR INTO THE CONCAVENESS THING.  THEY DO GIVE YOU GO GRIP.  THEY SUCK WHEN THEY'RE WET THOUGH.

THE ODYSSEY PEDALS ARE A NEW TWIST AND ARE GOOD TOO, ALSO THE AZONIC AND SUN RINGLE PEDALS ARE GREAT  .  BUT NOTHING WILL TOUCH THE GLORY HOLES AND YOU CAN PUT GRIND PLATES ON THEM TOO.  I AM REALLY STARTING TO DIG THE PEDAL TRICKS.  I'VE BEEN TWEAKING SOME TRICKS WITH THE PEDAL PLATES AND IT'S BEEN FUN...
YEAH THEY'RE PRICEY SO IS GAS FOR THE CAR.  AND SO IS EVERYHTING ELSE.  PUT YOUR MONEY IN WHAT YOUR INTO I GUESS.  GO FOR IT.  SPEND A LIL MORE TO GET THEBEST.  WHY DO YOU THINK EVERYONE SHOSES TO RIDE THEM BECAUSE IT'S COOL.  HUH?  GLORY HOLES ARE THE BEST.  I HAVENT BENT THE SPINDLE  .  I'VE SEEN LARS TRIBUS CATCH A ROCK AT THE US OPEN AND BREAK HIS CRANK ARM  AND FLIP THE HELL OUT THE BIKE LIKE A BABOON OFF A BRANCH BUT THE GLORY HOLES WERE STRAIGHT AS AN ARROW.  THANKS ANDY!!!!

PATRICE HAS THEM IN BAYRIDGE WITH THE GRIND PLATES TOO.  
MeanMachine

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 10:51:58 PM »

Hey Jim,
there's no question glory holes are great pedals, but the point I was making is that they are overkill in many cases where $25 primos or odissey will will work just as well. It's like having a jacked up SUV for driving around the city.

And you gotta stop typing in caps, my eyes are bleeding from reading your posts. Smiley
v-digit

vassili123
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 10:31:04 AM »

I've been abusing this bike and the pedals a lot, and started doing pedal grinds and I'm not using any grind plates or anything - so it adds even more strain. The pedals are holding up really well - I don't see any problems with them, aside from the scratches they still feel like new. Again, I've had them for about a year.

so u're saying u been pedal griding on these without any sort of grind plates - and you've had these pedals for a year now, and they still feel like new?

did u like take all the pins out from one side - and is that one side all ground to sh!t? or are u so smooth and sick with pedal grinds that u dont do any damage?

because i been griding on my odyssey cielenski's for a few weeks - total of about 100 grinds, and i even put on a home made metal grind plate on my grind side - and the pedal is gettin destroyed - way past just a few scratches.... i've had these pedals for much less then a year.

even tho NYC glory holes are mad $$$ - i think i'm gonna get a pair. paired with grind plates, i have a feeling these pedals will last a LOOONG time, much longer then 4 pairs of 30$ pedals + grind plates. besides, feet to pedal grip is the most important one when u're riding a bike - NYCs seem to do that job well from what i've tried/seen, they're nice and large.

NYC pedals might be my next purchase...after i lay a lil more pain onto my ciliensky's  

MeanMachine

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 02:56:06 PM »

I'm anything but smooth on the pedal grinds - in fact, I'm still learning to do them, but I've definately done more than 100 - I've done that many the first time I tried them on a nice smallish h-town grind rail. Smiley I didn't take out any pins, and don't keep track of what side I'm using for grinds. The pins got grinded down a little from the grinds, but they are still good - and grip fine.
Don't know if it makes much difference - but I've usually done them on coping and I also have a sprocket grind guard which takes the impact on missed attempts.

v-digit

vassili123
WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 03:42:24 PM »

Don't know if it makes much difference - but I've usually done them on coping
that makes a huge difference, actualy. if u do it on street ledges with your pins in u'll be missing/destorying pins very quickly, as well as your pedals.

i have a chainwheel guard as well, and that thing is grinded to sh!t also....

gideon

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 03:56:35 PM »

Doing street/rough surface pedal grinds?
Even one can kill your pedal
If you get a griding plate, then you've defeated the purpose of grippy pedals and you'll have to set up your pedals each time
Someone will probably argue that the heavy side w. the plate swings down, which , may work some, but not all of the time

For p gridns get the thickest bodied ones you can and/or use grind plate

Or use /carry2 sets, one for when you are doing the grinds and ones when you need maximum grippage (ie wet, muddy, trails and jumps)

G

v-digit

vassili123
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 04:28:41 PM »

Someone will probably argue that the heavy side w. the plate swings down, which , may work some, but not all of the time

the heavy side does swing down, 100% of the time, if u just spin the pedal and watch it. however, if u're out riding, and your foot slips the pedal, or u're hopping back on the pedal quickly there is a good chance u might land on the grind plate side - that why ever since i removed pins from one side of my pedal and installed a grind plate, i have to waste that second and look down at my right foot to make sure its on the grip side.  

Jim Dellavalle

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 05:10:30 PM »

At first I was skeptical about even grinding on the glory holes because of the size of Andy's foot....LOL....  

But I have tried the normal set up  which is the glory holes with the stock grind plates that come with when you order the pedals with the plates.  

I've  recently received  a pair of the Lenosky pedals from NYC. The grind plates that I got with them I had Andy cut the center out of.  Assuring me a concave function just in case I had to use this side to pedal around on.  Also it lightens the plates up alot.  but man, do they slide. it's smooth. And on top of that if your into stylish tricks such as pedal stall, some sort of icepick or toothpick variation with the pedals then the feel is awesome with the nyc freerides.  

I have had a pair of my nyc freeride glory holes stop revolving around to bring the grind plate side down ,.  But with a phone call to Andy of Nyc freeride he explained the problem and actually fixed it for me.  thanks Andy....

I assure you that the pedals are the best.  I havent seen anyone break these pedals.  not even Jeff Lenosky.   Before he got on with Andy he rode Tioga pedals , and you had to see how many times he had a lil' axle for a pedal at times ....  

Save you money and ride the best.
gideon

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2005, 06:08:33 PM »

Quote from: v-digit,Mar 17 2005, 02:23 PM
Quote from: gideon,Mar 17 2005, 01:51 PM

the heavy side does swing down, 100% of the time, if u just spin the pedal and watch it.

Quote from: however, if u're out riding

and your foot slips the pedal, or u're hopping back on the pedal quickly there is a good chance u might land on the grind plate side - that why ever since i removed pins from one side of my pedal and installed a grind plate, i have to waste that second and look down at my right foot to make sure its on the grip side.
 [/QUOTE
uh, yeah, that is what I am talking about
 if you have to figure out which side of the pedal you are on...

what if you are doing a no footer, kickflip, whips, whatever, if the pedals or cranks, are spinning
hard enough to find the pedals, let alone make sure which side you're on

then you've got the whole, i've got to start out with my pedals setup correctly thing to be cognizant of

if you've ever ridden 1 sided road/mtb pedals (clip in or strap)
which again, do swing down by gravity ( if you are watching them like a stationary desk ornament, but forget if the cranks and or bike is moving),

« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 12:12:12 AM by gideon » Logged

Qualude

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 03:01:15 PM »

Just picked up some Cielencki's, can't wait to replace my beat to crap Primo's....

v-digit

vassili123
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2005, 08:37:36 AM »

Just picked up some Cielencki's, can't wait to replace my beat to crap Primo's....
copycat!

Qualude

Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2005, 03:14:16 PM »

copycat!
Yup...they are black too...just like yours.

Kevin

WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2005, 08:13:15 AM »

Cielencki (black) sealed HOTTTTTTTTTTT
 NYC freeride pedals  

KERS ONE  CTB  TPA   BUSHWICK
DieselX

AM+Boarder+XXX
Email
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2005, 09:25:43 AM »

Mine are silver, whooh!

"The biggest risk is not taking one."

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
iggy
Administrator

deejaysoul deejaysoul
WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2005, 11:39:48 AM »

I had the black pair, but traded for the silver ones. And with the plates they always swing down and level. When I first get them they didn't since the bearing need to break in a bit (which is normal, according to andy). I can say 95% my pedals have been level and that  5% when it hasn't all I needed to do was pickup my foot quickly and they flip around with no problems. These pedals seem expensive, but I never had a problem yet. They grip really good, must have gone through about 6-8 pairs of shoes because of these pedals. The top side pins are still intact, since they rarely hit anything and they're always under my feet. The axle are super strong, since they holding up to my 250lb self jumping, failed spocket grind attempts, and plenty of bike ejecting doing manual bails. At the moment I stand and ride behind these pedals...

~~~            __o
 ~~~         _ <_
~~          (_)/(_)

Rob_BK
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2005, 12:35:34 AM »

Check out the new brooklyn shinburger updated pedals. Same as old ones with 8 oz. machined out making them normal pedal weight. I think they work better because your foot sinks into the pedal more, and better mud clearance. You can bring your old burgers to BMW to get updated also.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: